Monday, July 21, 2008

Women of Prayer

After 11 months, I finally made it to my first Women of Prayer meeting. (Once a month my parish holds a special meeting for all women after Saturday Mass.) In our parish hall there were light refreshments (so necessary after fasting from breakfast), a sign-in sheet, name tags an a huge think "book" of prayer requests.

The book is three pages single spaced, doubled columned and covers everything: sickness, employment, conversion of heart, prayers for single people. Everything any women in our parish wishes this group to pray for is listed out on this sheet. Because we're in Maryland, there is a specific section on Lyme Disease. Because this is my parish under "Prayer for the Family" there is this notation "P. Vijayakumar cure from witchcraft". (Is that a prayer for Mr Vijayakumar to refrain from practicing witchcraft or a prayer for his recovery from witchcraft? We'll let Our Lady sort it out, but this is one prayer request I would have never have heard if I had stayed in Madison, Wisconsin).

The book contained a wonderful prayer for finding employment. That's a prayer request I have for my 28 year old sister who is searching for her first career job and my 60 year old Mom who is searching for her encore career job.

God, our Father, I turn to you seeking your divine help and guidance as I look for suitable employment. I need you wisdom to guide my footsteps along the right path, and to lead me to find the proper things to say and do in this quest. I wish to use the gifts and talents you have given me, but I need the opportunity to do so with gainful employment. Do not abandon me, dear Father, in this search, but rather grant me this favor I ask so that I may return to you with praise and thanksgiving for your gracious assistance. Grant this through Christ, our Lord. Amen.

Anyone have any prayer requests for me to add to the book?