Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Happy Feast Day St. Teresa of Avila


I chose Teresa of Avila as my confirmation name in RICA because I thought it was "cool" that she was the first female doctor of the church. I often felt bad that I didn't put more thought into my saint selection. Six years later I'm not only working on my own spiritual autobiography (pitifully slowly, could use some prayers on that score) but on Sunday, October 19 I start my formation as a lay Carmelite. Looks like St. Teresa chose me!

(Can I also say how amazing it is that my husband and I will start our Carmelite journey together on the exact day of the beatification of Louis and Zelie Martin, the saintly parents of St. Theresa of the Child Jesus? Oct 19 is the 150 anniversary of the Martin marriage. Make a note to do something kind to your spouse on Sunday. Sacramental marriage is too rare a thing these days!)