Monday, December 27, 2010

Because I'm to lazy to do my own internet research. . . .

I need advice about finding a new wedding ring online. I'm one of those girls whose ring size goes up and down a ridiculous amount while she's breastfeeding. For example, last week I got sized at Kay's at at 6 3/4. Tonight, I was a 8 1/2.

My original wedding ring and engagement ring are a size 5. They are out of the picture, so I don't have a sentimental attachment to any wedding jewelry.

I have a nice diamond wedding band that is a size 6. It will cost about $80 to size it. Because I'm secretly hoping that Tess isn't my last baby, I'd like to hold off on changing my "good" band until menopause.

So that leaves me entering in the world of finding a cheap wedding band, that doesn't look cheap. Any advice?

I'm totally fine with cubic zirconia.

I need a real metal in the ring, however, either sterling silver or white gold.(I did the $8 costume jewelery thing over Christmas and my ring finger turned brown).

My husband wants a big, fake "bling" ring set. I think that having a huge ring--even if it's fake--looks a little ridiculous on a poor Carmelite. A compromise is something in the middle.

If worse comes to worse I can get a 2 mm white gold ring at Kay's for $60.00. It's an okay solution, but worn solo the thin band looks a little ridiculously small on my finger. I'm hoping to find a much more dignified solution at or around $100 online.

I also don't know what size ring to get. Jon also suggested finding 2 cheap silver rings at size 7 and a size 9 that I can trade off during the day. We went to Kohl's tonight but didn't see anything special.

Anyone have any solutions or suggestions?

(Thanks for helping Jon select my birthday present!)


Hmmm. . . thinking now about this option A or option B. What's a normal carat size that doesn't look laughably fake?

7 comments:

Meredith said...

Abigail, I have the same problem (9 months pregnant) and found a BEAUTIFUL selection of cubic/sterling rings at Overstock.com.

I bought one in a vintage style setting similar to my original ring for only $20 in a size 10 to cope with major swelling (hard to find in jewelry store.) Although it was a little too shiny at first, the metal quickly dulled to a more realistic patina.

I have enjoyed it so much that I am considering ordering a smaller size to switch out after birth or when necessary.

This is the style I bought but there are many more http://www.overstock.com/Jewelry-Watches/Sterling-Silver-Pave-Style-Round-Cut-CZ-Ring/2869562/product.html

Heidi said...

I don't know too much about jewelry but my engagement ring (which I no longer wear) has a diamond in the center that is .72 carats and on my hands it looked too big IMO. I don't know if that helps. I switched to a plainer band years ago, not a set.

Danya @ He Adopted Me First said...

I lost my diamond about 6 months ago (after 18 years!) and searched high and low for a good ring. Have you thought about a thick band instead of a solitaire ring like this? http://www.amazon.com/Sterling-Silver-DiamonUltra-Zirconia-Eternity/dp/B003F0SLT4/ref=sr_1_163?s=jewelry&ie=UTF8&qid=1293513678&sr=1-163
'Just a thought....

Anonymous said...

Check out QVC and type in wedding bands. I saw a nice one for $42.

Kaitlin @ More Like Mary said...

What is you paid to have your real right (the second one) resized to a larger size and bought one of those sizers that you insert into the ring to make it smaller? Then you could have a real diamond, the same ring, and adjust the size?

Anonymous said...

Blue Nile for a nice wedding ring. Look under "women's wedding rings." I would skip the fake engagement ring. Just buy the nicest real thing you can afford and it will look a lot classier. How about a nice, plain band or something a little embellished with very small diamonds? If you know someone with a Costco membership, they get raves for their prices on good jewelry.

sarah said...

What I did was wear the ring around my neck on a necklace which has a special 'gift from God' silver pendant and cross on it.