Wednesday, December 15, 2010

I Am Not A Superhero . . .

On this day,

I failed at sugar cookie baking,

and potty training,

and at encouraging a fragile reader to persevere through the entire length of Green Eggs & Ham,

and at getting a newborn to stay asleep.

When the Devil starts biting at my Achilles tendon,
whispering in his deep throated growl that each of my failures will have devastating life-long consequences for my children,
it's time for me to tell that Devil to "TAKE A HIKE!"

No, this is not the life I planned. . .

. . . . In fact, this whole enterprise was NEVER my idea.

In the wise words of Blessed Teresa of Calcutta, however, "God never asked me to be successful. God asked me to be faithful."

I am content to go on "faithfully failing" at motherhood for as long as Our Blessed Mother decides to board her own dear children at my house.

6 comments:

  1. Christmas cookies and potty training? On the same day? Even the attempt is heroic. These are two situations which will reduce me to tears on their own. But together?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Potty training should not happen until after the first of the year when you have several days to devote SOLELY to it....

    and I love the phrase "failing faithfully", I may need to use it later as I vainly try to keep up with mountains of stomach flu laundry....

    ReplyDelete
  3. AMEN! Glad to know you're not super-human! :) This morning I read Abigail the story of the Loaves and the Fishes and was reminded that we can give the Lord our meager offerings and He can turn them into abundance! Keep on offering those ruined cookies and potty-training-disaster clean-ups! He'll turn them into jewels for your crown in Heaven! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I needed to read this today... really.
    Thank you! +JMJ+

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! Oh goodness I don't ever want to make a list of my failures - I'd crawl into a dark hole and never come out! SO...baking can always be dicey, AND potty training is always a challenge, AND newborns will sleep when, where and how long they want - no matter what anyone says. Some days when hubs comes home from work and asks how my day was I just say "your children are alive" (since that's all I could get done)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this post. I often feel the very same way.

    Please keep my 6 mos old Claire Isabelle in your prayers. She's been diagnosed with "failure to thrive" and the dr said she's "floppy." Her bloodwork has come back a little wonky and she barely gained any weight at all over a 2 mos period. We are going to a pediatric neurologist on Jan 3. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete