Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Leaving the Land of Rivers for the Land of Little Rain

"After Abraham arrives in Haran, God suddenly speaks to him, saying, "Go forth from your native land and from your father's house to the land that I will show you." This is remarkable request on God's part. He asks Abraham to leave everything that he knows but doesn't even tell Abraham where he is going.

So what does God promise in return? He promises that if Abraham goes on this journey, then he will give him what Abraham most wants; a child. What's more, he promises to make Abraham a "great nation" and to bless all the families of the earth through him. THis is one of the most important moments of human history: God offers Abraham the chance to be his partner.

. . . "What is remarkable about what Abraham did is that he leaves the land of rivers, the land of water, Mesopotamia. In the Promised Land-down in Israel, where God tells Abraham to go-there are no rivers. There is little rain. But Abraham no longer needs the water. He has God.The message is clear; If we believe in God, we will be rewarded."

Feiler, Bruce, "Walking the Bible" pgs 38-39.

In this book, a Jewish author decides to tour the importance places of the Old Testament on foot. His reflections are unique and memorable.

The image of Abraham leaving "a land of rivers for a land with little rain" really touched me.

In my faith journey I've left the "known" for the unknown land with little rain in so many things-- my embrace of poverty, homeschooling, stay at home motherhood, and Catholicism in general.

The more I'm willing to let go of the typical American dream of a big career, nice cars, solid retirement accounts, and plenty of "me time" --the more I'm following God into the Promised Land. It's a little scary out here, but I know for certain in the marrow of my bones that the One True God is holding my hand.

Father Abraham, pray for us! Help us to better model you!

5 comments:

Danya @ He Adopted Me First said...

Abigail, this is so beautiful! When we were adopting it felt as if we were being led into the land of little water as there were so many uncertainties. One passage from scripture truly fortified me:

28 “Lord, if it’s you,” Peter replied, “tell me to come to you on the water.”

29 “Come,” he said.

Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. 30 But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, “Lord, save me!”

31 Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. “You of little faith,” he said, “why did you doubt?”

I remember thinking, Danya, just focus your eyes on Jesus and believe (and don't look down or back or around) and not only will you accomplish much, but He will save you! Blessings!

Anonymous said...

Reference to "poverty" and "personal trainer" just one post apart? Really?

Jennie said...

Thank you, I needed to read this today:)

Sometimes it can be difficult letting go of our own plans and following God's, but somehow His plans always turn out better than imagined anyways. I needed to be reminded of that. Thanks.

Living for the Lord in 2011 said...

Thanks for the encouragement -
Please pray for me as I am asking the Lord to soften my hubby heart towards adoption, he is so worried about finances, but I know that the Lord alwAys provides MORE than we can imagine....

And that is the point Anonymous, Abigail thought there was no way they could afford to join the gym (so she can stay heathly, strong and sane for her children), but God made it happen!!

Michelle said...

God must be trying to communicate something to me today. I've been so stressed the past couple of days about the future of our country (as it seems to be about ready to go off a cliff soon) and having a sick little guy to take care of. Just a few minutes ago I was explaining to my other young son the story of a picture I have of Jesus grabbing Peter who was sinking after trying to walk on water. Now I read your post, and someone else talking about walking on water.
I'm sure God is saying - Trust me! and Relax, would ya! Tough to do at times.