Sunday, January 30, 2011

Poor in Spirit = Openness to God

Blessed are the poor in spirit, the kingdom of God is theirs – Who are the poor in spirit? They are those who, by God’s grace, shun anything that would deprived of the joy of being totally dependent on God. Now, all of us are dependent on God, we just don’t know it. The poor in spirit are those who delight in the experience of dependence on God.Those in the flesh strongly resist any such sense of dependence or lack of control. As such they acquire wealth, power, and resources to create the illusion that they are in control. But they are not and ultimately their whole system will fail. It is a recipe for frustration and unhappiness.

From the Archdiocesis of Washington D.C. Blog

3 comments:

  1. This is what the homily was about today...and got me thinking. I just re-read this paragraph twice, and I don't understand it. Ok, maybe I get it now. Poor in spirit just means, we are happy to depend on God for our needs. Is that right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been really confused about this passage also. My priest really illuminated things for me.

    It helps to think of the opposite "rich in spirit" is someone who doesn't think she needs God. She's got things "figured out". She trusts in her own resources, her own wealth, her own talents, her intelligence. My priest described this as "haughty", saying "I don't need God's help.

    Poor in spirit is someone who "delights in depending on God". Someone who makes room for God in her life, who asks God all the time for help.

    For the first time, I really connected "poor in spirit" with my mothering. There are glamor Moms who think they have life all figured out in the parenting department.

    Then there is underwater me who has no idea how to care for the four Christ Child's she currently has living in her house and needs desperate HELP every day.

    Jesus actually promises us that if come to God in our neediness, then heaven is ours!

    ReplyDelete