Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Heartbreaking...

I just wrote goodbye letters to 12 beloved Catholic priests and Religious Sisters. I can't believe we are leaving the Archdiocese of Washington D.C. in a few weeks. I feel like I'm leaving a body part behind, it's so painful.

On the plus side, as I wrote my goodbye letter to the five priests and 2 deacons I have assigned at my City Parish Church alone, I thought "it's going to be kind of cool to just have ONE spiritual father at my new country church."

At St. Joseph's church in Martinsburg, West Virginia there is just one priest who will preach at every Mass and hear every confession. After the move, there will be no "cherry picking" in line for your favorite confessor or zipping down to the Basilica when we want to get confession done in a flash on a weekday.

It feels sort of good. I'm ready to grow up spiritually.

5 comments:

Kaitlin @ More Like Mary said...

I know exactly what you mean! Moving from St. Louis area to middle of nowhere Mississippi!

Jen Ambrose said...

The Deacon from St. James is from my hometown in Pennsyltucky. His sister and one of my sisters were in the same grade.

I hope you love it there.

Luci said...

Oh I'm jealous - Martinsburg is pretty much home turf. My husband grew up in Charlestown and we lived there for 3 years after we were married. Now we live in northern IL - much colder winters and no mountains (lets not even discuss the distance from here to the ocean).

Hope you enjoy living in West-by-God - its a special kinda place and very dear to my heart.

Sew said...

I cried when I left that diocese! Our pre-cana Priest taught it in a cassock and was as old as we were....

But the diocese, I love it! ;)

The shrine...how I will miss the shrine for you. NO chance of us meeting at the shrine at the end of the summer. :(

Sew said...

Oh and I wanted to say I was actually spoiled with Priests at the shrine for confession...>They are so intuitive, great confessors and even better then didn't know me. I will never forget!

But seeing my priest for confession is even more difficult. I know him well and sometimes he doesn't hide his facial expressions! hahahahaha :) So it does make me grow spiritually.

But I do run down the street to the church close to go behind the veil when I'm hiding! hahahaha

Crazy, huh?! ;)