Monday, June 27, 2011

Inspiring Home Education Piece

I'm moving into a new school district and need to prepare a "letter of intent" to the School Superintendent. I'm researching a lot about "inquiry based" learning which is a fancy educational term for my husband's and my basic approach called "teaching college in first grade". (I let my kids pick what history & science subjects they are interested in just like they are picking a class out of a college catalog and then design our studies around their interests for the year.) This article on using the Socratic Method to teach math in third grade was super cool.

4 comments:

  1. That Socratic method link was fascinating. I think I'm beginning to understand the binary thing (and at 62, at that!). Good luck writing your letter of intent. You clearly understand the purpose of education better than a whole lot of public school teachers. BTW have you read John Taylor Gatto's Dumbing Us Down?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto anything by John Taylor Gatto...
    that Socratic method article was awesome...I too am actually understanding binary systems better :)
    Pax!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look forward to reading that article! We did quite a bit with Socratic dialogue as a method of teaching and learning in my education classes in college - great way to take the boring out of education!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds a lot like "unschooling". Have you read "A Little Way of Homeschooling" by Suzie Andres? I really enjoyed that book and it was a quick read. I think I'm pretty much doing this inquiry based learning.

    ReplyDelete