Friday, August 12, 2011

I'm on a mission....

to help curly haired girls adore their natural hair type!

So you see my pretty Mimi pictured below. At age 4, she is already complaining that she wants straight hair like her big sister!

As we walk through life, so many women come up to me and talk about "I had hair just like that, but my Mom couldn't brush it, SO SHE CUT IT ALL OFF and it grew back like this.." These woman who are in their fifties or sixties and still have tears in their eyes when they talk about that trauma.

Then I found that I had curly hair like my daughter Mimi, but I got it "cut wrong" at age five also. Now my hair is more "wavy" than having adorable "Annie" curls like Miss Mimi.

So I'm nominating reformed curly girl expert Miss Kaitlin to give all us moms of curly tops an online tutorial in hair care.

And please, if you have a pretty curly girl in your life, tell her that she looks uniquely beautiful every day--because that pressure to comfort to "straight hair" beauty is very dreadful!

3 comments:

  1. I have curly hair. It was actually straight when I was a child and it went curly during puberty. Strange, I know.

    First I want to say that getting a haircut doesn't change what type of hair you have. You can get a bad haircut, but that doesn't take the curl out of your hair. The hair follicle in your scalp determines how curly your hair will be and they can change over time.

    Now that being said, my second daughter has 'orphan annie' curly hair. She is known all over town as the cute girl with the curly hair.

    Never try to brush curly hair and do not blow dry it either. After you wash it, towel dry, use a pick to get the knots out, and use some hair mousse to set the curls. Using conditioner after the shampoo can help with it also. If you have not washed it, you need a spray bottle full of water to use while you pick out the knots. After you finish, scrunch the damp hair to curl the hair again. Some spray-on hair gel can help reset the curls too. Nothing fancy here, we use Suave.

    It takes a little extra time to work with curly hair, but it is definitely worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all want what we don't have. Tell your daughter I've spent my whole life wishing for thick curly hair instead of baby fine, thin straight hair. Even a perm doesn't turn my hair into hair like hers (it's then just thin, fine and a bit curly and I have to put up with chemicals every 6 months).

    Fashion changes as well, some of the time the fashion is straight, some of the time the fashion is curly. There are a number of actresses with lovely curly hair (Julia Roberts, Angie McDowell to name a couple).

    When I was in high school I babysat for a family with one curly top and one straight haired. It was the straight haired little girl who envied her sister's curls (and so did I). I always think it must be nice to have hair that you can just spray some conditioner through instead of struggling to make thin straight hair look like it actually has some style.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a head of curly hair that I've disliked and fought almost all my life ('cept for a spate there in the '80s). I have two daughters, one with curly red hair, and one with straight black hair. My curly redhead is a gorgeous girl. But she would kill for straight hair. She flat irons it occasionally. I do the same. My straight haired daughter likes to use curlers, because she'd like a few curls every now and then. We envy her straight hair. :)

    I think the problem is that curly hair so easily frizzes. It's not so much the curly that is despised, it's the frizz. Frizz has never been in style, and for good reason, ha ha!

    It's so superficial, I know. But boy do I hate frizz. Frizz is so hard to control, esp, if there is humidity and rain. (That's one reason I love living in the dry desert!)

    That said, on occasion (non-frizzed) curly hair is the best hair to have, and in those moments, life is very good.

    That's my 2 cents, and utterly meaningless. :)

    ReplyDelete