Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Psalm 17 Save me, Lord, from those who hate you.

"You give them their fill of your treasures;
they rejoice in abundance of offspring
and leave their wealth to their children."


This quote from the Daily Office brought me great joy today! If you think of "fill of your treasures" and "leave their wealth to their children" as true wealth-- spiritual insight--then God is giving us such a glorious promise.

Also, "abundance of offspring" is really more than simple biological offspring, its the promise of having many spiritual sons and daughters. Another beautiful promise that extends equally to the chaste Religious sister as well as to the wife who suffers from infertility.

I also liked this quote from Saint Augustine in the Second Reading about my dear St. Lawrence:

"I tell you again and again, my brethren, that in the Lord’s garden are to be found not only the roses of his martyrs.In it there are also the lilies of the virgins, the ivy of wedded couples, and the violets of widows. On no account may any class of people despair, thinking that God has not called them."

I love that visual image of "ivy" for married couples. I'll have to go find some ivy somewhere and put it in my dining room.