Tuesday, September 6, 2011

AHHHHH BABY BOOMERS!!!

This past weekend was the one year anniversary of my grandfather's death. My grandfather died after a hard battle with cancer while Baby Tess was in her first hospital, being treated for simple jaundice. Everyone was scared to add to my stress by telling me that my grandfather died, so I found out the news from Facebook.

On September 4, my Dad left his dying father's bedside to race to Maryland. He (and my Mom) where there the infamous day of September 5, when Baby Tess went from "fine" to needing an emergency baptism and a transfer to Children's Hospital. My parents were there to witness the baptism and drive home their completely exhausted daughter from downtown D.C. They even got a hotel room across the street from my apartment, so they could watch over Jon and I.

Then in the morning, before we even left to see Miss Tess, my father organized my life for the next month. He rented me a car so we could get to the hospital easily (we were poor Carmelites who relied on the bus at the time). He took my three older children to his house for two weeks, so we could live in the NICU. He even handed me cash so that Jon and I could easily get meals in the hospital cafeteria.

All that happened and it was a gift. My Mom was her normal self during Tessy's home-coming. But my father "got it." There are expressions in his face when he held his totally held granddaughter that I'd never seen before.

All that is so precious to me.

Somehow slathered on top are these maddening photos I received in my in-box this morning. My aunt and my uncle celebrated the anniversary of my Grandfather's passing by going to a lake on Sunday and throwing pine cones into the water.

Throwing pine cones into the water???????

There is this piece of me that is screaming--who are you baby boomers??? GO TO CHURCH! It's Sunday. Say a prayer. Sing a hymn. Remember your father in a place that makes sense both to Him and to God!

Grandpa would have gone to church!!!

Pine cones in the water? The guy didn't even fish!

The whole world needs prayer. Most American Baby Boomers seem to need it double! I'm off to go make my contribution to the improvement of society by enduring my morning sickness bravely today. Hope everyone had a happy and restful Labor Day.

9 comments:

  1. Maddening. Though I don't think that kind of new Age-ism is the exclusive provenance of the Baby Boomers. Sadly, I could see my younger brother doing something like that. Although raised Catholic, he now is pursuing all sorts of other "mystical" goofiness: living in an ashram for a year, dabbling in Native American spiritualism, spiritual healing, drum circles, etc. Pope Benedict is right, there is so much evangelization to be done, starting in our own families.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Melanie, I don't think it is just the baby boomers. You are right though, the world needs prayer and so much of it. Sometimes it seems positively overwhelming to me. From my own family members to the strangers I read about, there are so many in need of prayers, grace and mercy who don't even realize it and I do try to offer things up but it isn't always easy to remember to and then what I do offer seems so puny and poorly done. It is posts like this though that comfort me that, even if what I am offering is so small and poor, I'm not the only one making offerings. God bless your dad. And I hope the morning sickness endurance goes well today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a baby boomer. Not all of us are like you described. Every family has "those" who have given up or are lukewarm about their faith.
    I am very passionate about my Catholic faith and within my family are those like you describe..Our church needs prayer. I see the "the smoke of satan" infiltrate our churches more and more. Don't put this on the boomers. The generation that you come from are truly the ones who need prayer. My daughter is 36 and my son is 42, and it is this age group that has failed their faith. So many have left the church to go to non denomination ones because they make them "feel good"
    We all need prayer. Not just us boomers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ginny,
    I am in the age group you say "has failed their faith." I don't think WE have failed our faith. I think our faith/Church has failed us. We have not been properly taught about the faith. By the grace of God, I was brought back from nearly leaving the Church. And God has since then been teaching me a lot of what I should have been taught as a child. It's a long learning process. But if you've not been taught about the faith, it's really easy for Protestants (or whomever) to pull you away from the faith with their questions and allegations about all the Catholic Church is doing which they believe to be contrary to Jesus' teachings. Let's face it, CCD (in my experience) growing up was nearly a complete waste of time. Many people my age agree. May God teach us and those younger than us about the faith so that we might stay true to the Church, and those that have left might return.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well Ginny, this is interesting.

    I blame the "Baby Boomers" in my own family because I see the disconnect.

    My grandparents practiced their Christian faith. (Both sets made sure their children and grandchildren went to church every Sunday).

    Then my both of my grandmothers died-- next both my grandfathers.

    Now it's like "full force" paganism reigns supreme in the "remembrance ceremonies" of these SAME Christian grandparents.


    I totally agree that my own generation is mostly off the deep end--and sin does exists everywhere and in every generation.

    I just find it odd that the many youthful Baby Boomers often follow their own chidren deeper into New Ageism, rather than firmly holding the line like the generations before them such as saying "Ahem, Weddings belong inside a church not in front of a judge" or "On Sunday's we go to church."

    ReplyDelete
  7. hahaha i spent a weekend with five baby boomers who kept yearning for their days of "mass in the woods with nature"...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Talkin' 'bout my generation.
    I totally agree that we dropped the ball big time. I say 'we' bc I was right in the middle of it. No pointing fingers here. Basically, we were raised by folks who'd grown up during the Depression & WWII (my dad was on Okinawa). When they got married the year after "the War" ended, all they wanted to do was give us a better life than they had.
    And they did. Except for one thing. They forgot that 'a better life' entailed not spoiling us. So, for all we knew, it was "all about me, myself & I." If I didn't want to marry, I didn't. If I wasn't ready for this pregnancy, I aborted. blah blah
    Since we can all agree that God's greatest attribute is His Mercy, let me say that I have personally stretched that attribute to the max over the years! Now what I try to do is spend my time telling & showing my children & grandchildren that #1 There is always a road back home. #2 Sometimes it's a long long way back.
    History can testify to the fact that BOOMERS don't have a corner on selfishness & myopia. That said, we're goin' have an awful lot of 'splainin' to do!

    ReplyDelete