Thursday, October 27, 2011

Bruno Mars - Just The Way You Are [Official Video]



A Catholic told me recently "God doesn't love us with affection!" It was so shocking, I listened to him repeat that exact statement three times during his speech. "God doesn't love us with affection!"

In my heart I said "NO WAY!"

And I prayed for him. Because he obviously never drank in the glowing words of St. John of the Cross.

God loves each of us, in an affectionate, uniquely personal way. And just because He loves the whole entire world and forgives us all of sin, it doesn't diminish that between Him and me there is a unique, teasing, personal love. He has real affection for my soul.

As one of my wise Carmelite friend likes to say "I'm God's IT GIRL!"

(And her counter-point, "I don't even mind that your God's IT Girl, too. Because I know for certain, I am so the IT GIRL!!!!)

This has been an unbelievably hard week. I am fighting the Devil tooth and nail. It's three weeks before my first Carmel promises, and I'm in the boxing ring with evil. Those bad forces, bad thoughts, bad situations never seem to let up for a second.

And I'm falling down.

I'm falling into sin. I'm screwing up. I'm letting down the Church Militant.

I mean, man if I was a Carmelite soccer goalie instead of a hidden prayer warrior, my current score board would not look good. Something like Evil 256, Pathetic Carmelite 1.

So I was moping around the house today, praying to God for Help and feeling totally miserable.

This song came on the radio.

I can't explain it.

It's personal. It's affectionate.

I might have a million sins still clinging stubbornly to my soul.

I might be a pathetic washout as a mother, a wife and a Catholic.

Yet my pre-engaged spouse, Mr. Jesus Christ, Himself, he still sings to me that "when you smile, the whole world stops and stares for a while....."

It's personal, our love affair. It's affectionate.

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful! And I love that song. Can I ask what that person's perspective was, to say God doesn't love us with affection?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there! So close!

    I don't know of course, but I think a LOT of people, Catholic or not, have a hard time believing God could love them affectionately and it is not so much a reflection on their belief regarding God so much as a belief in being loved, being lovable and being someone worth loving. Mother Teresa saw the West as extremely poor but not so much in material things as in love. A person who was not loved or shown that they were not lovable or not worthy of love has a hard time conceiving that God could love them. If their parent, spouse, etc. didn't love them, how and why would God?

    It is a gift to *know* that God loves you and it does make it harder to continue in the faith that God loves you without it.

    Prayers for the Catholic you spoke of. Prayers for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Talk about a much needed post to see and at the perfect time, too. I can't even begin to express how much I needed to see something like this today.

    I heard it said that for the Christian, there are no coincidences. I know this isn't one.

    Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this post! How blessed we are to know that our true value is in the affectionate, loving gaze of Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Every time I hear this song, I think of God! So cool! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karey, I think the person (and I'm trying to be vague here to prevent scandal) was trying to drive home the point that we can "love our neighbor without liking them." I.e. love is an action that has nothing to do with personal feelings. I agree with the man point this person was trying to make. Love is "action" not mere "feelings".

    The part where I really winced was the repeated point (made three times) that "God does not love us with affection." That statement is so foreign to me, I'm not really sure where the conversation was going. I think that God loves us in an "impersonal" and perfect way, i.e. not based on if we're "good" or "bad."

    I think God does love us perfectly. It's not dependent on our actions or "likability."

    I think that statement sort of missing the point however, because our relationship with Christ is so individual. We're each so precious! We're each irreplaceable.

    It's affectionate.
    It's personal.
    There are things that happen in my day that I now are just meant to delight and amuse me alone.
    My relationship with Christ gets more like my good, affectionate marriage every day!

    So just pray for this person. My thought was "oh, you just haven't experienced Him deeply yet."

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm always rooting for the underdog- Go Carmelite, Go!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just love that God says to us, "I am the one who calls you by name...and that name is the one I have bestowed on you. "Beloved".

    ReplyDelete