Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Anniversary Ideas?

(Do not read, Benjamin!)

Imagine you have a husband that you love, an 11th anniversary coming up on June 2nd, guilt about not really celebrating the all important 10th anniversary well because you were in the midst of a painful moving process, next to no money AND a Chilipepper newborn who either has colic/infant reflux/extreme sensitivity which makes her cry for 6 to 8 hours a day.....

What would you do to celebrate a wedding anniversary?

Don't say "nothing", because even though I know my husband and Mr. Jesus would totally let me off the hook--part of me really wants to make this day special. I'm a historian and I get a real kick out of reflecting on the journey we've taken together.

I'm not sure I can do much with food, because either my newborn is great, or she's not. I can't really tell in advance if I'm going to have energy to cook real food for dinner or if its corn dogs in the microwave again.

So I'm thinking about creating some sort of "project" that would document to my husband and my kids what things we've truly accomplished in our marriage. Something that I could work on in the spare time while Miss Chilipepper is asleep. I'm picturing making little collages with photos of each year we've been together. Then taping it to 11 candles.

That way even if we're stuck eating take-out on our anniversary due to whatever emergency can happen with 5 kids under 10, we'll at least have a pretty centerpiece to look at during our dinner.

Does anyone else have other ideas?

6 comments:

Joy said...

Like your idea, tape a picture of the two of you from each year of your marriage, then if possible get a treat that will remind him of your honeymoon.

allyouwhohope said...

That's a great idea! Once, I made my husband a book (probably technically a scrapbook, but I don't "scrapbook" so that wasn't my intention). It was before the days of shutterfly books and was completely homemade, which I think touched him all the more. I glued one picture to each page and wrote something about the meaningful time in our relationship that it represented. It was a poem, now that I think about it! He LOVED it. And it cost hardly anything. Your idea sounds similar, and totally from the heart :)

Sarah said...

I found this website a while back, and thought they had some great ideas. There are a ton of ideas for dates that cost next to nothing, but also some really creative ideas too.

http://www.thedatingdivas.com/marriage-101/gratitude-journal/

Jen said...

You are awesome. Because I would say nothing. And so would my husband. LOL. We would most likely get a special movie, chocolate covered strawberries (our fav), and stay up late laughing together. That's our love language. It was when we were dating, and is now. Plus we're both lazy. :-)

Happy Anniversary!

Little JoAnn said...

Yogurt Cool Wip Pie...

Four or Five Strawberry Banana containers of yogurt, 1 container of Cool Wip.

Mix it up poor it into a premade graham cracker pie shell.

And, here is the deal...let the older kids make it for you!!!

No cooking, no oven...little mess, no way to mess it up.

Put it in freezer for an hour or two then leave out and eat.

I use to call it Grandma Pie I would make it for my grandma when I was a little girl.

You can call it anniversary pie.

It costs like 5 bucks to make and takes 10 minutes.

qualcosa di bello said...

renew your wedding vows before or after Mass

one year for Christmas (in a very poor year) i made my hubby a list of 365 things i love about him (a mix of memories of things we had done together & things that make him special)

eat t that pie in the above comment!

whatever you do...i pray for a very BLESSED anniversary for you both!!