Monday, July 23, 2012

Great Olympic Role Model

The youngest member of the US Olympic Team, swimmer Katie Ledecky, is a fifteen year old Catholic from the Archdiocese of Washington D.C.! Katie says that her Faith is a central part of her athletic success. In our paper the Catholic Standard she says "I always pray right before a race. The prayer I say is the Hail Mary." .... "I also love going to Mass every week. It's a great chance to reflect and connect with God. (My faith) has been a big part of my life since I was born." (Catholic Standard, pg 6)."

Katie will swim the 800 meter Freestyle --I think on August 2.

Swimming is the hardest Olympic event for an American to qualify to attend. Only the top two times at the Olympic Trials earn a spot on the team. The Americans have the deepest talent pool, next to the Aussies, in the world. It's truly incredible that a 15 year old from Maryland earned a spot on the Olympic Team.

The power of one Hail Mary!

Go Katie!!!