Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Don't Get Discouraged Today

So it's the 15th. Thanks to some kind of evaporation in our tax code my husband's paycheck shrunk by $160 per month. I'm sure many of my readers are in similar situations.

Here's my comment on Facebook this morning:

"Mr Obama. It's the 15th. Our paycheck went down $80. That's $160 less per month for my middle class family of 7. Guess we'll just stop buying hay for the Polo Ponies we have in the backyard."

I'm encouraging myself to NOT PANIC. God is trustworthy. I've not gotten this far down the poverty rabbit hole without seeing major help come from unexpected quarters. God is in charge. Our health insurance rates are rising in February. The credit card balance needs to be paid off from Christmas. The girls and I still need new shoes.

Today, however, we are okay. It's Widow who fed Elijah during a famine time. My job is to make a good dinner tonight for my husband. Love on my kids. Maybe smile at a growling neighbor. If I'm smooth and happy inside, Jesus has more room to work in my life.

Housewifery is more than snags in the household budget. It's giving love. Receiving love. Praying to Mary in my heart while doing her little tasks with my hand.

"The Lord gives, The Lord Takes Away. In All Things, Bless the Lord's Holy Name." (Job, I think)

10 comments:

The Petrolias said...

Hi Abigail. You don't know me, but I've been reading your blog for a while now. Your words are always so beautiful and exactly what I need to hear. I sent you a facebook message. I'm not sure if you'll get it, since we aren't "friends".

Kat said...

Our paycheck went down too, now I just have to get a little more creative on ways to trim the budget :)

Ginny said...

Great Advice, great wisdom..trust in God and He will see us through.

Kigwit said...

I haven't seen my paycheck yet but I'm dreading it. All will be well!

Jenny said...

In the same boat here, but we don't get paid until the end of the month. Taxes up. Insurance up. Health withholding up to pay for maternity later this year. Anxious to see what the final number will be, but trying not to worry about it.

Becky D. said...

Our check was about the same difference 40 a week. And we might have another 5-600 in medical bills after insurance for December.Our baby got sent to the ER by his pediatrician's office after 4 days of 103 plus temps. Our insurance premiums already went up. Thankfully my husband had a small annual raise that covered that increase. It leaves us no wiggle room in the budget. And the list of needs to save for is growing van brakes glasses for me and my husband. I think you're so right just concentrate on today and let God control it. I know that we've been doing this for many years and we always seem to have enough but sometimes it seems a big struggle. Many years ago my husband was laid off for 8 months. We didn't have tons of savings and we literally had some miracles of provision. My husband joined the church two years later. I really think his faith grew especially during that time.

olivia said...

Hi Abigail. I'm another reader who has been keeping up with your blog. Just wanted to let you know I will say a prayer for your family tonight. Increasingly I find myself inspired by your faith in moments of discouragement. I know God will bring you through.

Rebecca said...

Thanks for this reminder today - I've been freaking out most of this month (I got paid on 1/3 and saw the difference), and I'm still freaking out, but I'm focusing on the fact that fortunately it's a 3-pay month and the tax refund will come in February - surely I can figure this out by then.

Amazing Life said...

I am right there with you. After paying the bills yesterday, I had to literally remind myself that our pantry is full, our freezer has meat, and our bills are paid for now. That really is a lot to be thankful for right now.
I am currently battling being fearful of Obama's radical threat to stop Social Security payments if the House/Senate does not agree on the Debt plan. We are raising two boys with the assistance of survivor's benefits from their Dad and we use every bit of their money to make ends meet along with my husbands weekly income. There is truth to the saying "Feeding teenage boys is expensive!"

Beth said...

Same boat. Hate it.