Thursday, May 15, 2014

Homeschool Update

I finished three elementary school portfolios today! It's a family record to get those suckers finished 10 days before our schedule review with a public school teacher. My first year, I was up until 1 AM the night before hand gluing type-written tags to each of my daughter's Kindergarten scribblings. How I've mellowed out with age!

Today, I was upfront in recruiting help. I asked for Jon to take a day off. He watched the little ones and gave Alex an oral reading comprehension quiz. I find it's usually okay to teach with interruptions from a 2 and 3 year old. Trying help students get stuff "brush up" for a final copy inside a portfolio, however, means that I need more focus. When I'm honest and vocal about my own limitations, everyone is happier in my house including me.

Tonight, I sent Jon to Swim Team with our kids. I'm going to meet some new friends and watch the movie "Mom's Night Out." The best part about teaching at home is that I get to choose all my own end of the school year rewards, instead of leaving with a bunch of stale cookies and apple magnets!