Tuesday, May 20, 2014

On Being To Old To Have A Baby

I visited my hometown over the weekend. I ran into a high school classmate who was totally horrified to see me pregnant at age 40. Her youngest is 14. There was this awkward conversation about why the hell would I do that to my body at our age.

Her shock sort of surprised me. I realized that I've lived in a sort of special bubble.  Among Catholics, it's totally normal to have a baby after age 40.  I also graduated from this ultra-liberal women's college. So many of my college friends are having their first baby at 40. It was funny to think of these two, totally different worlds overlapping in their support of this tiny baby.

Catholic. Feminist. It's all about respect and treasuring individual differences. I'm proud to be once again the total weirdo among my High School Class.