Friday, September 5, 2014

The Perfect Mother/Daughter Love Song For Me

I get the biggest smile every time this song comes on the radio. I know this song is about a husband's love for his wife, but for me the song lyrics bring up another connotation. This is the perfect love song about Mary, the Mother of God for me. This is how I feel about being swept up in my feelings about her. "I don't dance" and yet here I am, totally willing to be swept up my foolish, exuberant love for her.

There are so many things that I do for Mary, that I would have thought was impossible for me to even attempt before I met her at age 28. Before becoming a convert to the Catholic Faith, I could have passed a lie detector test on dozens of major life issues. I won't have more than two kids. I won't home school.  I'm not type of girl who could stay home full time without her career. I can't write. I'm too scared to sign up for multiple c-section surgeries.

I certainly won't work daily on growing in the virtues of humility, obedience, poverty and chastity. Instead, me, my Scottish Temper, and my inborn French blooded flair for the dramatic, made me tend to flounce away from boyfriends at the earliest signs of conflict. When I got engaged to a Catholic man at age 25, I'd barley held down a relationship longer than 3 months. It felt like an act of Faith to assume that this was the guy I could love for future decades.

It's a grand thing to fall in love. Love gives us courage! I'm so grateful to start a beautiful friendship with the Mom of Jesus. It's been 12 years. I'm a different woman because I've had her nourishment and her care. All the good things in my life, my marriage, my children, my Carmelite spirituality, my comfort at moving my own individual way through the world, comes from the security of having Mary's gentle encouragement in my life.