Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Feast of Martha

John 11: 19 - 27
19 and many of the Jews had come to Martha and Mary to console them concerning their brother.
20 When Martha heard that Jesus was coming, she went and met him, while Mary sat in the house.
21 Martha said to Jesus, "Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died.
22 And even now I know that whatever you ask from God, God will give you."
23 Jesus said to her, "Your brother will rise again."
24 Martha said to him, "I know that he will rise again in the resurrection at the last day."
25 Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life; he who believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live,
26 and whoever lives and believes in me shall never die. Do you believe this?"
27 She said to him, "Yes, Lord; I believe that you are the Christ, the Son of God, he who is coming into the world."

Yesterday was the Feast of Martha. I'm used to the Scripture where Martha is chastised by Jesus for whining about her sister's non-involvement in dinner prep. (As the oldest, I can so relate!) It came as such a beautiful shock to hear this reading at Mass.

Martha is the one who rushes to met Jesus outside the house. Martha is the one who turns to Jesus in faith in the midst of sorrow. Martha is the human being who provoked one of the most glorious summary's of faith in our entire Scripture. "I am the resurrection and the life; he who believes in me though he die, yet shall he live."

How many funerals have I heard that Bible verse? It is all thanks to Martha.

Saint Martha, bless me as a hurry among my many tasks as a homemaker today. Help me to imitate your friendship with Jesus. Help me to run to greet my Lord in the middle of all of my troubles.