Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Prayer Help: Acts of Spiritual Communion

No one can get to Daily Mass everyday (and the mothers of young, squirmy children can get their brood to Daily Mass almost never!) There's an easy way to make sure that we never miss out on the spiritual benefits of attending Daily Mass, however. On days that you're homebound, simply read the Scripture readings of the day and reflect on them in your heart. (I like to look up the Daily Mass Readings on EWTN.com). Then say a simple Spiritual Communion Prayer like the one listed below.

Spiritual Communion Prayer

My Jesus, I believe that You are present in the Most Holy Sacrament.
I love You above all things, and I desire to receive You into my soul.
Since I cannot at this moment receive You sacramentally,
come at least spiritually into my heart.
I embrace You as if You were already there and unite myself wholly to You.
Never permit me to be separated from You.

These acts of Spiritual Communion really work! You'll receive all the graces that Jesus was going to give you at Daily Mass. (One of the ladies in my Carmel group actually sticks out her tongue to receive Jesus during her Acts of Spiritual Communion. She says it helps her visualize receiving the Eucharist if she acts the same at home as she does in Church.) Invite your husband to join in this prayer session and make Acts of Spiritual Communion a part of your family's early morning routine.