Friday, May 18, 2012

Cures for Colic

In the past two weeks, I've read 600 articles about how to cure colic. Seems that I'm blessed with a kid where nothing works. (Or more accurately, where no technique works reliably all the time).

Here's what does work--taking care of Mom so that she can withstand the stress of hearing colic crying bouts for 4 to 5 hours a day.

Here are the things that I've used to so far to distract myself

-emailing friends
-having real tea parties with an adorable 5 year old
-making sarcastic jokes with my 9 year old
-reading the entire four part series of Nora Robert's "The Bride Quartet"
-watching Celebrity Apprentice on Hulu
-making out with my husband (which never fails to lift my mood but also runs the risk of creating another colicky Benjamin soon. LOL!)
-and my new favorite trick--going strawberry picking! Who cares if the baby wails unfailing next to you while there is blue sky above you and fresh strawberries to pick.

I feel bad about the constant distraction, however. I can't really picture my role model Mommy Mary eagerly turning the pages of a romance novel while breastfeeding the infant Jesus. Wouldn't she just supposed to stare lovingly at the baby's head the while time? Even when Jesus turned as red as chilipepper from constant crying?

WHY don't the artists paint Jesus as a real baby anytime in those glorious Middle Age oil paintings? Dude, any mother can look sweetly at her child when he's fed, clean, and happy. It's takes a REAL daughter of Mary to look lovingly at a baby who is covered in poop, screaming red with rage, and likes to bite hard during the latch on process.

I'm a fraud. I feel like a "real" Carmelite would just jump into this suffering experience and not waste one precious drop of spiritual insight from this cross.

10 comments:

Amazing Life said...

Those days are so hard, praying for you. The most consistent way to help our colic baby was running the blow dryer. Don't know why but it worked for him. At least for awhile.

WheelbarrowRider said...

I am sorry he has it so bad! I thought my kids were pretty severe, but Prevacid solutabs (albeit a large dose) worked for them. As AJ got older we had to put to do zantac IN ADDITION because he outgrew the max dose, but Zantac alone (or Axid) never worked for us. Praying for you and baby!

WheelbarrowRider said...

I am sorry he has it so bad! I thought my kids were pretty severe, but Prevacid solutabs (albeit a large dose) worked for them. As AJ got older we had to put to do zantac IN ADDITION because he outgrew the max dose, but Zantac alone (or Axid) never worked for us. Praying for you and baby!

Andrea said...

Best thing I ever did when my son was that colicky was pass him over the fence to the neighbor for a while so I could catch a break, you're doing just fine, hang in there!!

Abigail said...

Thank you guys! I've got a doctor appointment on Monday to see if we can bump the baby up to Prevacid. Right now the straight Zantac is doing very little.

Liz said...

That biting hard during the latch process really sounds like a baby who may be battling with a flow problem. Try expressing a bit of milk to get the flow started and calmed down a bit before putting her on and see if that helps. Does she seem to really be chugging the milk? Have you tried block feeding? Is there a lactation consultant you can call (some insurances cover it). Have you tried La Leche League?

Little JoAnn said...

I LOVE YOUR TECHNIQUES.

SOrry, I did not have them two years ago!!!


You are a genius with these ideas.

I got some help from

Corona
Coffee
Hot Showers

Gripe Water
Maalox
Sensitive Brand Rice Formula (made by Similac) added to formula
THEY NO LONGER MAKE THIS HOWEVER!

And, basically,

Turning over MOST feedings to my husband as I could not take the stress.

Yep, being married to a Saint is what got me through Colick.

I am still tired from those days.

Still.so.tired.almost.three.years.later.

My husband recently said: I am so glad our first child's colick didn't make you not want to have more children!!!

Also, I pretended I was in the army/marines...seriously, I did.

I like the make out strategy. Wish I could have relaxed more and done that!!!

Lauren @ Magnify the Lord with Me said...

Oh I am sooooooo sorry. I can't believe how bad it is! I love your coping mechanisisms- esp making out with your husband- haha! You are not a fraud! Keep calling on the names of Mary and Jesus to help you=- the grace WILL come!

In all your spare time- this article might be different than the normal stuff: http://www.westonaprice.org/childrens-health/calming-the-cry-of-colic

Smoochagator said...

My son did not suffer from colic, thank goodness - I was so afraid he would because I am not sure I could have handledit. But who knows what the future may bring?

I know you've probably tried everything, but just in case you've never heard this colic cure - some breastfeeding moms see relief when they go dairy free.

Tienne said...

Prayers for you, Hon! Hang in there. :)