Thursday, August 16, 2012

Prayer Help for the Unwelcome Welcome

This is the sign at my local County Courthouse.



A little chilly, no?

The sign is posted in two places in the small hall waiting area, and (as the bailiff told me) "in each and every courtroom."

I read that sign and shrunk down a few inches. I was only in the Courthouse to get a copy of my official property map.

I can't image sitting on a bench, waiting for an Eviction hearing, distracted for a moment about my possible future homelessness--and having a chilly bailiff point to that sign out to me and say

"Humpf! We expect you to exercise control over your child's behavior!"

All because my child was (to use an exact quote from my discussion with my local Clerk of Court yesterday) "climbing up the stairs."

That sign has bothered me for a month. Yesterday, on my Mommy's feast day, I went to the County Courthouse. I parked my four children ages 9 to 2 on a wooden bench under that sign. With my youngest girl in her Bijorn on my chest, I asked the bailiff to please take down the sign. He said no.

I often him a replacement sign that I handmade with kinder language (Unattended Children will be given a puppy and a cup of coffee). The bailiff said "My boss wants it that way."

So I went to talk to his boss--the Clerk of Court.

He said "NO!"

I said "Well, where do I take this matter from here?"

He said "No where!" Then he gave me a look that said "Who do you think you are???????"

I must have looked like a sight. A girl with wet curly hair in a banana clip, a blue cotton dress, and  my husband's oversized black flip-flops with a red faced baby strapped to my chest...but....

I know who I am!

A Beloved Daughter of Mary.
A Catholic mother of five who is sticking up for the Baby Jesus.

My local Clerk of Court may choose to post a sign in the waiting area that says "QUIET, Court is in Session". He does not have the right to single out children. He does not have the right to be rude to mothers and fathers.

So I pulled myself up straight, gave him a quick nod of the head and said "You will be receiving a letter from me about this matter soon, Sir."

Then I walked out out of his office with my cheeks blushing.

Now, I am coming to you, gentle readers. Please pray! My Clerk of Court has a last name that starts with "S" and his bailiff first name starts with "L". Ask the Lord to remove the rude sign and soften their hearts towards all children in general.